The Parkinson Choristership (pictured) has been donated by Lady Parkinson, wife of Cecil (Lord) Parkinson. Cecil and Anne both have long associations with St Albans Cathedral. The close family was able to enjoy the new Chorister’s Institution at the 11.15am Choral Eucharist before Lord Parkinson’s ashes were interred in the north churchyard.
Evensong with the Abbey Girls Choir saw the Institution of the first Burton Choristership, generously given by Anonymous donors.
Claude Peter Primrose Burton was Organist and Master of the Music from 1950-1957. A quiet man, he devoted his life to cathedral music but sadly lost his life when rescuing a drowning chorister in July 1957. The chorister survived, but it was not to be so for Peter.
We thank him, and recognise his manifold contribution to the music at St Albans Cathedral during his time at he helm.